I live 20 miles south of Seattle and a world away...

With more than 89,000 people, Federal Way is the 10th largest city in the state of Washington. The 10th largest city doesn't have a used bookstore, a gay bar or an art museum but we have two, count 'em, two Walmarts. Now, before you think I'm a total snob, you should know that I do have an affinity for some big chains - I do a lot of shopping at Target and Trader Joe's and I never leave home without my Taco Del Mar punch-card. This blog isn't here to put down the friendly suburb of Federal Way but to celebrate the things that are unique about it. These one-of-a-kind gems in a sea of strip malls are the things that make a city special and worth calling home.

January 4, 2011

Pimienta Bistro & Bar



34029 Hoyt Rd SW, Federal Way
Photo from Peppercorn's Facebook Page















UPDATE: The restaurant has changed ownership and is now called Pimienta (Spanish for pepper), but still has the same chef and similar menu and decor.
Peppercorn is fairly new – it’s less than six months old, but what a beautiful baby it is!  Although we found it accidentally, I realized that I had been looking for this place since we moved to Federal Way.  It’s tucked away at the corner of Hoyt and 340th and is actually pretty easy to miss from the street.  Once you walk through the door though, you know this isn’t your average F Dub watering hole.  The interior is painted in warm earth tones and the walls are covered with wood salvaged from an old barn.  The pendant light fixtures are made from funky chicken wire and local artists’ work hangs on the walls.
The staff is incredibly friendly – not in a works-for-tips-so-we-have-to-be kind of way, and I’ve worked in a restaurant so I know from faking it – but in a genuinely-happy-to-be-a-part-of-this-cool-little-business way.  The servers are adorable and charming. The executive chef and co-owner, Blanca used to be the chef at Cactus, a small, three-restaurant chain in the Seattle area that serves really fun southwestern-style food.  The last time we were at Peppercorn, she came out to say hi and flirt with our (in my humble opinion) adorable little daughter.  I read that the other owner, Hector used to work for the now defunct Dash Point Metropolitan Market.  It was the closest market to my house, with the best cheese, produce and wine selections in town and I actually cried when it closed.  Now I think there is something to the theory that when God closes a door, he opens a really chic bistro – er, something…
The food here is really lovely.  We’ve tried several things on their menu and have enjoyed them all.  Many of the dishes have a Latin flair, which turns some stand-by dishes into really interesting meals. Their calamari fritti appetizer is great, with a melt-in-your-mouth coating and a perfect bite on the inside.  It was served with a tangerine-lemon aioli that really lets the flavor of the calamari shine.  The peppercorn steak is really nicely prepared and is served with fried parmesan polenta that is hands-down the best polenta I have ever eaten.  It’s buttery and crispy on the outside and so creamy on the inside.  The first time we ate there, my husband ordered this and I couldn’t keep my fork off of his plate.  That night, I had the mariscada which has scallops, mussels, shrimp and Portuguese sausage in it and is served in a tomato broth.  It was also great, although the tomato flavor slightly overwhelmed the shellfish.  We’ve also tried the pepper crusted ahi which was very nice and a halibut special that I have thought about many times since.  They have two regular desserts and sometimes do a special dessert as well.  Always on the menu are crème brulee, which is good and a flourless chocolate torte that is one of the best chocolate desserts I’ve ever eaten.  I don’t usually prefer chocolate when given the choice of other sweets but this has definitely changed my mind.  It’s dense and moist but not too rich and it is flavored with orange, which is such a nice touch.  The wine list is nicely varied and has clearly been thoughtfully chosen.
Pepper Crusted Ahi, from Peppercorn's Facebook Page
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
While there are several places in the Federal Way area that I really do like, there can’t be more than a few that are the total package of innovative food, terrific atmosphere and great service that you will find at Peppercorn Bistro & Bar.  This restaurant fuels my optimism that fine dining really can exist anywhere if there are enough people that demand it.  Thank you to my fellow Federal Way foodies – our demand has been heard!


No comments:

Post a Comment