I live 20 miles south of Seattle and a world away...

With more than 89,000 people, Federal Way is the 10th largest city in the state of Washington. The 10th largest city doesn't have a used bookstore, a gay bar or an art museum but we have two, count 'em, two Walmarts. Now, before you think I'm a total snob, you should know that I do have an affinity for some big chains - I do a lot of shopping at Target and Trader Joe's and I never leave home without my Taco Del Mar punch-card. This blog isn't here to put down the friendly suburb of Federal Way but to celebrate the things that are unique about it. These one-of-a-kind gems in a sea of strip malls are the things that make a city special and worth calling home.

February 9, 2011

Gino's Bistro

4624 SW 320th Street, Federal Way

http://www.ginosrestaurants.com/

Photo from Gino's website
Strangely, two of my favorite Italian restaurants are run by non-Italians (and no, I’m not talking about the Olive Garden and the Old Spaghetti Factory, presumably also not Italian-owned). One is a place in Seattle run by a Chinese couple and the other, Gino’s Bistro, is owned by a guy from Peru.

Gino’s is a really perfect little restaurant that makes such great food. It’s casual enough that we can bring our toddler here for dinner or get take-out pizza but it’s also fancy enough that we choose it for date night when we do have a babysitter and can order things like pear ravioli in Marsala cream sauce.

It goes without saying that it’s located in a strip mall, albeit a very small one in a wooded area near a golf course at the end of 320th. However, once you walk through the gas station parking lot to get inside, you would definitely describe the interior as charming and romantic. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed everything I’ve eaten here, from pizza to gnocchi to halibut. The service has always been friendly, as is often the case in family-owned restaurants where your server might also be related to the owner.

This was the first real restaurant we went to when we moved to Federal Way, the first place we went on a date after our daughter was born, one of the first places we took her when she was a baby and the place we go when my parents are in town. Gino’s is my gold standard for Federal Way dining.

1 comment:

  1. I drive by this place all the time and have been wanting to eat there. Now that I've read your review, I think I'll have to make a date night with the wife and go there.

    Thanks for sharing!

    David Berg
    www.bouncehousefood.com

    ReplyDelete