I live 20 miles south of Seattle and a world away...

With more than 89,000 people, Federal Way is the 10th largest city in the state of Washington. The 10th largest city doesn't have a used bookstore, a gay bar or an art museum but we have two, count 'em, two Walmarts. Now, before you think I'm a total snob, you should know that I do have an affinity for some big chains - I do a lot of shopping at Target and Trader Joe's and I never leave home without my Taco Del Mar punch-card. This blog isn't here to put down the friendly suburb of Federal Way but to celebrate the things that are unique about it. These one-of-a-kind gems in a sea of strip malls are the things that make a city special and worth calling home.

March 29, 2011

Can-Am Pizza

32510 Pacific Highway South, Federal Way
http://www.canampizza.com/

I originally told myself that I wouldn’t write about chain restaurants on this blog but here I am, breaking that rule. Can-Am Pizza is an itty bitty chain which currently has just four restaurants in the greater Seattle area (but not actually in Seattle). I was introduced to the business in Bellevue and was so happy when I discovered there was one in Federal Way.

They have your traditional pizza with red sauce and the typical toppings but I’ve never had that here. What makes this place amazing are their non-traditional pies - specifically, Indian pizza. I first had this with an Indian friend and when she told me we were getting Indian pizza, I assumed she was talking about a traditional dish that was similar to pizza. But no, this is good old American-style pizza with Indian toppings. Imagine going to an Indian restaurant, ordering butter chicken or paneer and then going to Papa John’s and slathering them on top of a pizza. How brilliant is that? In addition, they do other interesting themes like a gyro pizza, Mexican pizza and even a bacon double cheeseburger pizza.

If you’re anything like me, you’ve probably stopped reading this and are already in your car driving towards Can-Am. I should warn you though, this is great for take out or delivery but there isn’t a lot of space for dining in the restaurant. It’s for the best anyway - once you’ve had one bite, you’ll want to be alone with this pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment