I live 20 miles south of Seattle and a world away...

With more than 89,000 people, Federal Way is the 10th largest city in the state of Washington. The 10th largest city doesn't have a used bookstore, a gay bar or an art museum but we have two, count 'em, two Walmarts. Now, before you think I'm a total snob, you should know that I do have an affinity for some big chains - I do a lot of shopping at Target and Trader Joe's and I never leave home without my Taco Del Mar punch-card. This blog isn't here to put down the friendly suburb of Federal Way but to celebrate the things that are unique about it. These one-of-a-kind gems in a sea of strip malls are the things that make a city special and worth calling home.

January 9, 2011

Koharu Japanese Restaurant



31840 Pacific Highway South
 


I always find that my favorite cure for a hangover involves teriyaki and a Coke.  After a particularly rowdy night, the hubby and I packed up the tot to check out a new teriyaki place.  While there are scads of good fast-food teriyaki joints in town, we decided to try Koharu, a little Japanese restaurant hiding in a strip mall full of mostly empty stores along Pac Highway.  I don’t know if it was partly because I knew there was teriyaki in my future, but I felt very soothed just walking in the door of Koharu.  The lighting is soft, the music is soft, the pink napkins are soft - the whole atmosphere was a tonic for my frazzled soul.  The servers are very friendly and all wear kimonos.  When we sat down I looked at my menu and suddenly, teriyaki alone wouldn’t cut it – I needed sushi too.  I’m really glad that I ordered both because the sushi was great.  I have to admit that I also ordered gyoza – I am an eating machine.  The dinner comes with miso soup, an iceberg salad, kobachi and a gelatin dessert.  You definitely won’t go hungry here.  It was all very good, the teriyaki chicken hit the spot but the sushi was definitely the star of my dinner show.  The salmon skin roll was so right – crispy inside and a little warm.  My only complaint is that it took a really long time for our food to come but I think it was worth the wait.  Bottom line: come for the teriyaki, stay for the sushi.

Make sure you wear your eating pants...

No comments:

Post a Comment