I live 20 miles south of Seattle and a world away...

With more than 89,000 people, Federal Way is the 10th largest city in the state of Washington. The 10th largest city doesn't have a used bookstore, a gay bar or an art museum but we have two, count 'em, two Walmarts. Now, before you think I'm a total snob, you should know that I do have an affinity for some big chains - I do a lot of shopping at Target and Trader Joe's and I never leave home without my Taco Del Mar punch-card. This blog isn't here to put down the friendly suburb of Federal Way but to celebrate the things that are unique about it. These one-of-a-kind gems in a sea of strip malls are the things that make a city special and worth calling home.

January 13, 2011

Shorty's Grub House

34417 Pacific Highway South, Federal Way

Update: Shorty's has moved from the Federal Way location to Black Diamond.

I love barbecue.  When I was in college, my girlfriends and I one time drove for more than three hours to get to our favorite barbecue restaurant in a town 180 miles away.  The trip wound up involving crazy shenanigans and became much more complex, as these things often do, and the three of us girls wound up spending the night in a dive motel with no heat and had to huddle together in one bed with our coats on and a fifth of Old Crow to keep warm.  Classy, I know.  The point is that these girls and I are devoted to our barbecue and in fact, one of them went so far as to have her wedding catered by a barbecue restaurant.

Meatloaf Sandwich

You can imagine my joy when we discovered Shorty’s Grub House here in Federal Way.  This is the sort of place you walk into and know they will have good food.  It’s in a pretty barebones building on Pac Highway with a big pink pig fashioned out of a steel drum in front.  The front door sticks and for a moment, I thought it was locked until I heard the owner of the restaurant calling to me to pull harder.  When I made it in, he said, “You really have to manhandle that thing.”  Yes.  I looked around the restaurant and surveyed the trappings.  Rolls of paper towels on the tables: check, menu written on a giant chalk board over the counter: check, table devoted solely to holding the condiments, including three different degrees of hot sauce: check.  In addition, there was a Tonka truck just waiting for little hands to play with, much to my daughter’s delight. 

While I tried to decide what to eat, I was assured by the owner that everything is delicious.  I have no doubt.  I eventually ordered the meatloaf sandwich which is smothered in grilled onions and their grubbin’ sauce – the same barbecue sauce that all of the barbecued meat wears.  It’s served on grilled sourdough bread.  I also had a side of their three-cheese macaroni and cheese and I couldn’t resist trying the sweet potato hash as well, which features sweet potatoes, russets, garlic and onions garnished with cinnamon.  The sandwich was delightful – warm and soft and literally dripping with sauce.  I set to work on it and didn’t come up for air until it was gone.  Meanwhile, my two-year-old was enjoying the macaroni and cheese, which was exactly what you want the macaroni and cheese at a barbeque restaurant to be.  It has fat noodles, a light crumb topping and a blend of cheeses to make it just zippy enough but still pass as comfort food.  The sweet potato hash was a happy surprise and was a great blend of sweet and savory.  I should also mention that they do breakfast as well and after peeking at that menu, I’m sure that I will find something to love at Shorty’s any time of day. 

Rest assured, the next time my college pals are in town, I will take them straight to Shorty’s Grub House, a convenient 4-mile drive from my home.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget we also had to slather on the coral melon lipstick because none of us had Chapstick! Beyond classy!

    ReplyDelete