I live 20 miles south of Seattle and a world away...

With more than 89,000 people, Federal Way is the 10th largest city in the state of Washington. The 10th largest city doesn't have a used bookstore, a gay bar or an art museum but we have two, count 'em, two Walmarts. Now, before you think I'm a total snob, you should know that I do have an affinity for some big chains - I do a lot of shopping at Target and Trader Joe's and I never leave home without my Taco Del Mar punch-card. This blog isn't here to put down the friendly suburb of Federal Way but to celebrate the things that are unique about it. These one-of-a-kind gems in a sea of strip malls are the things that make a city special and worth calling home.

January 17, 2011

Marlene's Market & Deli

2565 S Gateway Center Pl, Federal Way


I don’t think I could live in a town that didn’t have a real hippy grocery store.  It’s important to me to have a place where I can buy my quinoa pasta, amaranth flour and dates in bulk.  Marlene’s is that place in Federal Way and it does not disappoint.  My husband has some food sensitivities and when he made the decision to stop eating gluten and refined sugar, I was never so happy to have Marlene’s in town to stock up on some new pantry staples.  They have a huge bulk section and a great variety of foods that cater to people who aren’t willing or able to live on white bread and American cheese.  In fact, they have an impressive display of vegan cheese and a large selection of gluten-free items.

In addition to the very large natural, whole foods grocery store downstairs, Marlene’s has a second floor that sells non-grocery goods such as earth-friendly soaps, cosmetics, clothing, candles, gifts, greeting cards and books.  The second floor also houses the deli.  You can get great sandwiches, vegetarian and gluten-free dishes and take in the massive salad bar.  We love this place for lunch because we can please everyone in the family, even our toddler who would happily live on cottage cheese and olives if that were an option.

As if all of this weren’t enough, they host a lecture series on Thursday nights where local health professionals share information about healthy lifestyle and diet choices.  Additionally, they offer cooking classes and in-store chair massage.  You really can’t find these services at any other grocery in town and, honestly, if you ever received a massage or advice on your colon at Walmart, it would probably be unsolicited and you’d want to get a Hepatitis shot after.  Skip the hassle and head to Marlene’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment