I live 20 miles south of Seattle and a world away...

With more than 89,000 people, Federal Way is the 10th largest city in the state of Washington. The 10th largest city doesn't have a used bookstore, a gay bar or an art museum but we have two, count 'em, two Walmarts. Now, before you think I'm a total snob, you should know that I do have an affinity for some big chains - I do a lot of shopping at Target and Trader Joe's and I never leave home without my Taco Del Mar punch-card. This blog isn't here to put down the friendly suburb of Federal Way but to celebrate the things that are unique about it. These one-of-a-kind gems in a sea of strip malls are the things that make a city special and worth calling home.

December 8, 2012

Tokyo Steak House

1404 S 320th St., Federal Way
tokyojapanesesteakhouse.org

Once again, I find myself posting about a restaurant which turns out to be a chain. I'm ok with this because the Federal Way location of Tokyo Steakhouse was the only one for more than a decade. They opened a second location in Bellevue last year but this still feels like a Federal Way original. Although, if you've been to a Benihana, it's pretty much the same thing. All the same, Tokyo Steak House is a really fun place to have dinner. If you're not familiar with the teppan yaki style of cooking, this is where there is a big grill attached to your table and the chef comes out and cooks right next to you. Like any Japanese steak house, there is a lot of fire and dinner theater involved and the chefs here do a fine job of knife juggling, precision chopping and turning everyday vegetables into flaming volcanoes. The food is tasty and, obviously, cooked to order. I can recommend the steak and calamari dinner and have enjoyed the shrimp and veggies as well. In addition, they have an extensive sushi menu but the regular dinner off the grill includes soup, salad, rice and appetizer in addition to your entree. You will not go hungry here!

No comments:

Post a Comment