I live 20 miles south of Seattle and a world away...

With more than 89,000 people, Federal Way is the 10th largest city in the state of Washington. The 10th largest city doesn't have a used bookstore, a gay bar or an art museum but we have two, count 'em, two Walmarts. Now, before you think I'm a total snob, you should know that I do have an affinity for some big chains - I do a lot of shopping at Target and Trader Joe's and I never leave home without my Taco Del Mar punch-card. This blog isn't here to put down the friendly suburb of Federal Way but to celebrate the things that are unique about it. These one-of-a-kind gems in a sea of strip malls are the things that make a city special and worth calling home.

February 15, 2013

East India Grill

31845 Gateway Blvd. S, Federal Way
www.eastindiagrillwa.com

As far as I know, this is the only Indian restaurant in Federal Way since the one in the food court at the Commons closed (unless you count the amazing Indian pizza at CanAm). Even if this weren't the only game in town, I would still eat here all the time. The food is great and the restaurant has great ambiance. The walls are painted the warm colors of the spices in the food and the lighting is soft and makes the dining room feel like it is a million miles from the busy intersection of 320th and the freeway.

I have been here many times and have always loved everything I've eaten, from vegetable biryani to mango chicken and a wide variety of stuffed naan. During the day, they have the lunch buffet which is apparently required by law of all Indian restaurants but they also do a Sunday brunch - and what could be more decadent than butter chicken with a mimosa on the side? But wait, there's more! If you love their food and want to make the recipes at home, East India Grill sometimes offers cooking classes. If you're looking for a great dining experience that's close to home, I highly recommend East India Grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment