I live 20 miles south of Seattle and a world away...

With more than 89,000 people, Federal Way is the 10th largest city in the state of Washington. The 10th largest city doesn't have a used bookstore, a gay bar or an art museum but we have two, count 'em, two Walmarts. Now, before you think I'm a total snob, you should know that I do have an affinity for some big chains - I do a lot of shopping at Target and Trader Joe's and I never leave home without my Taco Del Mar punch-card. This blog isn't here to put down the friendly suburb of Federal Way but to celebrate the things that are unique about it. These one-of-a-kind gems in a sea of strip malls are the things that make a city special and worth calling home.

November 8, 2014

Little Free Libraries of Federal Way

5019 SW 329th Way
29845 6th Ave S
2107 318th Pl SW
littlefreelibrary.org



Little Free Libraries are popping up all over the country as well as around the world. These little book exchanges are a great way for neighbors to come together and share common interests, while promoting a love of reading in children and adults. People place them in their yards, in parks, at schools, in neighborhood common spaces, and more. Neighbors are invited to "take a book and return a book." The libraries are installed by community members who want to help make their neighborhoods healthy and fun places. These library stewards maintain and monitor the little buildings while people in the community stop by to take books that interest them and to return or exchange books they have already enjoyed. When registered on the Little Free Library website, the libraries receive a charter sign and are cataloged on a map or list so that people can find a library wherever they go.

The city of Federal Way currently has 3 registered libraries which residents can enjoy. Each is a little different and they all reflect the tastes and reading habits of their individual neighborhoods. Two of the libraries were painted to match the houses in front of which they are installed. One has two "stories"--the top floor has books for adults and the bottom houses children's books. One library was built in honor of the steward's son and two of the stewards are members of the same family. One of them shared this story on the Little Free Library website.

"A few years ago, I saw an article in the local paper about the Little Free Library story. I cut out the article and started looking into building one. Unfortunately, my building skills are limited and so nothing happened, but the article remained on my nightstand, a reminder of what I wished for. In the fall of 2013, my brother-in-law built a library in memory of his son. While collecting books for his library, he learned about my dream of having one. In December, after the holidays, the phone rang and it was Billy, offering to build me my own Little Free Library. A few weeks later, on a wintry February day, it was installed. The library has been so much fun--truly a dream come true for me. The neighborhood community has embraced it and I am so grateful that I am able to be the steward and that I can share my love of reading with so many people. It delights me everyday!"


Check out the Little Free Library website to find a library close to you or find out how to build your own. There are more than 25 LFLs in Tacoma and dozens in Seattle. I'd love to see Federal Way embrace this charming movement in the same way - it's relatively easy and so fun (full disclosure: I'm am the steward of one of these libraries). The children in my neighborhood have been especially excited about the project. If you're not ready to install your own, just stop by one of the three in town and pick out your next book to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment